OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES
ALL OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES PRACTICES ARE CANCELLED THIS SUMMER.
Volunteers- Check under the "VOLUNTEERS" TAB above and click on "OMAHA VOLUNTEERS" for updates.
DONATE TO OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES
2. Make your check payable to Special Olympics Nebraska. Please designate Omaha Tennis Buddies in the memo area.
3. Send to Special Olympics Nebraska, 9427 F St. Omaha, NE 68127
Omaha Tennis Buddies Newsletter
ALL OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES PRACTICES ARE CANCELLED THIS SUMMER.
FAMILY PICNIC- AUGUST 9 AT 5:30 PM at ALL PLAY, 6802 HARRISON ST.
RSVP to Nancy by Aug 2.
NOTES FROM NANCY (7-24-20)
I was able to contact the facility, All Play that we have used for the last 3 years for our annual picnic. Bruce has generously agreed to let us use his facility again at no charge. I would like to have a "social distance" picnic on August 9th, with an alternate date of August 23rd. These are both Sundays. We have been missing you all so much and hope that many of you will feel comfortable attending with the precautions we will have.
Here is the plan:
Date: Aug 9 (Alternate date, Aug 23)
Time: 5:30 pm
Place: All Play, 6802 Harrison St
1) Bring your own food and drink for your family group. There are tables that we will rearrange if needed. I would suggest that you bring some wipes if you have some and a tablecloth. You can also bring lawn chairs to sit where you want.
2) We will provide cupcakes as dessert baked especially for us by Haley!
3) Wear masks or not. It is your preference, but please respect the 6' social distance. I know that it will be hard as you have not seen your friends for quite some time.
4) Please RSVP by August 2nd so that we have a head count for dessert. Indicate whether or not you are coming and how many will be in your group. Please respond yes or no!
This will be a great time to catch up and see your tennis friends!
5) It is also time for the Big Red Raffle. This is going to be a difficult year to sell tickets so I am suspending the need for each family to sell $40 worth of tickets. Any sales you can make will be greatly appreciated. I will bring the books of tickets to the picnic and you can take however many you want or you can make a donation that day if you don't want to try to sell any tickets. Remember that all the proceeds go directly to our Tennis Buddies program. For those that are unfamiliar with the raffle it is the only fundraiser that SONE has. The prizes are very nice and in a normal year are very easy to sell. First prize is still 2 season tickets to NE football. The tickets are sold either individually for $5 or a book of 5 for $20. We use the money raised to provide this program to you at no cost so your involvement is very appreciated. If you are unable to attend the picnic then please contact me with your intentions for the raffle. Either you can come to my house or we can meet somewhere to get you what you need. Should you decide just to make a donation then you can mail a check made out to me or SONE. I will make sure that it gets deposited to our account. Your donation can be any amount that you are comfortable with.
18667 Nina St
NOTES FROM NANCY (6-25-20)
Special Olympics Nebraska will not be able to hold the Fall Games the first weekend in August . Due to an abundance of caution we will not resume Tennis Buddies at this time. I will keep in contact with you about recommendations for starting our practices up maybe in the fall. Things are very fluid and unpredictable at this time and we are trying to move forward at the right pace. Your safety and health our our number one priority. As much as we would like to get together are resume our normal schedule we are not going to jeopardize anyone's health. We are missing all of you so much and pray that this virus will be brought under control soon.
Thanks and blessings to all.
I have sent emails to almost everyone that has a physical form that is going to expire in 2019. You need to have a current physical on file every 3 years. The forms are available on SONE.org or I can send them to you if needed. Your athlete cannot participate in Tennis Buddies and Special Olympic activities without a current physical on file. Feel free to contact me with any questions. This is especially crucial for the All Star Tournament and the State Tournament. **If your physical expires AFTER August 3rd you can get a physical done at the Healthy Athlete event at the State Games. I will have more information on this as we get closer to the event.
As we head for our summer program I need more parent help. There are several jobs that need to be covered that are too much for me to handle alone. Please consider how you can help with our athletes this summer.
a. Birthday cards (all year round) 1 person
b. Thank you, sympathy...any cards as needed (all year round) 1 person
c. Equipment unload/load-get to Koch a little stay a little late to help Tammy and I(summer only) 4-6 people
d. Valentine's Day party (one time a year) 4-6 people
e. Walking Club (September and October) 2-4 people
f. Family Picnic (August) 4-6 people
g. Medical Forms-keep them current (all year round) 1 person
h. Big Red Raffle (August to November) head and 6 helpers
i. Lunches at the State Games (1 time a year) 1 person
j. Banquet and dance tickets for State Games (1 time a year) 1 person
k. Family Fishing Expo-Saturday, Sept 7th from 9AM-1PM-Is there a fisherman out there that would like to take on this job and organize a group to go to Bellevue Rod and Gun Club? They have a fishing day for special needs kids and their families. Everything is provided along with instruction and equipment. Thought it would be a fun, free activity. (1 time a year) 1-2 people
l. Pumpkin Patch event (October) 2-3 people
**If you are currently doing this job and want to continue then let me know. If you want to change to a different job or do more than one job that is okay too. As you can see there are a lot of things that you can help with. We love our Tennis Buddies and want to this to be a rounded experience with lots of tennis activities along with social events so we can all bond and form lasting friendships.
SIGN UP GENIUS
Now that you are used to using this application we will be relying on it more and more for activities as they come up. PLEASE plan to use it when instructed so that all of these sign ups are simplified for the organizer. For example we will be using it for State Tennis- participation, lunches, dance and banquet, Family picnic, Fishing, pumpkin patch... Just a reminder that if you DO NOT sign up when requested to you will be considered a no or absent.
Check out our Photos Page, as many new Tennis Buddies photo albums have been posted
CLICK HERE to view a summary of the topics covered at our recent parent/caregiver meetings.
*in case of inclement weather please check your emails or tennisbuddiesrock.com for cancellations or change in location
*Mary McHale will be contacting any athletes that need to renew their physicals for 2019. If you receive a notice to renew be sure to get the Special Olympics form to take to the doctor and file a copy with me and with Special Olympics Nebraska. All athletes need to have a current physical on file in order to participate with Tennis Buddies.
* If your athlete has a change in caretaker please let me know so that I can make changes to my roster. I include the caretakers in the emails that I send so they have needed information for scheduling. Also update me if you have any changes to your personal information such as address, phone number, email...
* If you are interested in supplemental practice times during the week (hopefully at Happy Hollow), please let Nancy know.
* Be certain that Nancy has your athlete's current clothing sizes for: shirt, sweatshirt and shorts.
* We would like to like to share our roster list with our Tennis Buddies families. Please let Nancy know if we have your permission to share this information.
Omaha Volunteers now have a page on this website with information dedicated to them. Look under the "Volunteer" tab above, and select OMAHA VOLUNTEER INFO
Cancellations are made by 1:00 on the day of practice and we will try to get it posted on tennisbuddiesrock.com. I will also send out an email.
USE OUR WEBSITE
Please use the website for information. Past information that I have shared with you is posted on the site and is a wealth of information that is posted for your benefit. Try to make it your "go-to" for dates and times of upcoming events and explanations of happenings. A HUGE thanks to Jane Hines for maintaining and posting the vital information and the wonderful photos of our athletes!
Below you will find the schedules for the Creighton Men's and Women's Tennis teams. Our athletes can learn a lot by watching them play. Creighton players are very faithful with volunteering throughout the winter months.