OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES
OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES JANUARY/FEBRUARY PRACTICES ARE CANCELLED!
Volunteers- Check under the "VOLUNTEERS" TAB above and click on "OMAHA VOLUNTEERS" for updates.
DONATE TO OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES
2. Make your check payable to Special Olympics Nebraska. Please designate Omaha Tennis Buddies in the memo area.
3. Send to Special Olympics Nebraska, 9427 F St. Omaha, NE 68127
Omaha Tennis Buddies Newsletter
OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES- JANUARY/FEBRUARY PRACTICES ARE CANCELLED!
December News from Nancy
We are getting excited to start up on January 9th!
This email contains A LOT of information, so please read carefully!
If you haven't signed your athlete up for their sessions, please do so before JANUARY 3rd. I will be making the court assignments before I leave. Remember, if your athlete is not signed up for a particular date ahead of time, they will not be able to play that day.
Be sure that you are signing up only for the week your athletes group plays. Each group will get 4 practices in January and February. If you need to find the link to Sign Up Genius you can always find it at the top of this page. You can also get updated information too as the website is kept current by our amazing Jane Hines!
Winter weather! We are getting a firm reminder today that winter is officially here! We will always err on the side of safety for our athletes, families and volunteers. We will cancel Tennis Buddies in the event of unsafe conditions. You will be notified by email or an alert from Sing Up Genius. If we cancel it is always posted on the tennisbuddiesrock.comwebsite. Please check there before you head out.
There is a lot that needs to be done for our anticipated start. I will be gone from the end of January until the first of March. I really hate to miss Tennis Buddies, but we had decided to go to the Keys for an extended stay. I know that things will go smoothly, but we could use some extra help.
1) We need 2 people willing to take temperatures each week. If your athlete is LOVE, we need 2 volunteers from that group for the weeks LOVE is scheduled. If your athlete is DEUCE, we need 2 volunteers from that group for the weeks DEUCE is scheduled. You would need to arrive before your starting time to help set up and be ready to go. LOVE-4:00 DEUCE-4:30
2) We need 1 person from each group to record the temps and ask the COVID questions. This person would also:
* collect any COVID Code of Conduct forms brought to practice, record on provided sheet, file in COVID notebook
* have any athlete or volunteer that does not have a Code of Conduct on file fill one out and sign prior to practice
You would need to arrive before your starting time to help set up and be ready to go. LOVE-4:00 DEUCE-4:30
3) We need 1 volunteer from each group that will have the master list of court assignments for athletes and volunteers
* you will give each athlete the information for courts
* remind them that the court assignments are posted on the window by the door to the courts in case they forget
You would need to arrive before your starting time to help set up and be ready to go. LOVE-4:00 DEUCE-4:30
I would love to have the same person do the job the 4 times your athlete plays so that we do not have to retrain each week, but if you can't volunteer every time we will certainly accept your help!
Here are some of the protocols we will follow when we return to play. Please review them carefully and share any relevant information with your athlete so that they know what to expect.
1) Masks will be worn when you enter the MAC and when you depart.
2) Mask wearing during play will be personal preference. Be sure your athlete knows what you expect for this.
3) Each athlete will have a "dot" on the court assigned to him/her. They will set all their gear in the dot area so that they are distanced from each other.
4) Each athlete will have a tube or a hopper to pick up balls with. The hopper/tube will have a piece of tape attached that coordinates with the dot they are on
ex) "Matt" is on the red dot. He will have a hopper/tube that has red tape on it. He will use only that hopper/tube to pick up balls. Please explain this to your athlete so they know what to expect.
5) Every athlete and volunteer will use hand sanitizer when they enter the court and when they depart.
6) When you arrive at the MAC please proceed upstairs and find a dot for Table 1 that your athlete can stand on. They will have their temperature taken and will then proceed to Table 2. At this table they will be asked what their temp was and 2 COVID questions.
Have you had contact with anyone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
Do you have a cough or any other signs of COVID-19?
***Please be sure that you go over these questions with your athlete so that they understand what we are asking. Preferably a
parent or caretaker will be there to assist.
Proceed to Table 3 where that person will have a master list of the athletes and volunteer court assignments. The assignments will be posted on the window by the door to the courts like we always have done. Don't worry if you forget which court. Just check it as you enter.
7) Every athlete and volunteer must have a COVID Code of Conduct filled out and signed. You only need do this once, so if you played this Fall and did one then there is no need for another. If this is your first time back you need to bring the form filled out and signed. You need to go over this with your athlete. I am attaching the form to this email so that you can do this before you come to the MAC.
8) As of this time I don't have an answer about parents/caretakers staying and watching. At the very least, I think just 1 person for an athlete will be able to attend.
9) As stated before, we are trying to be preemptive in our approach to resuming tennis, but if you see an area we need to address then please share your feedback with either Tammy or I. We know that it takes a village to make this program the best it can be.
(Nancy) firstname.lastname@example.org. 402-981-2730
(Tammy) email@example.com. 402-670-7277
I will have internet access while I am away. Please address any emails to both Tammy and me.
10) If your athlete has an unexpected absence for a date you are signed up for then please email and/or text Tammy and I. This way we will be able to adjust court assignments accordingly. We hope that there won't be any no-shows. We need to be able to respect our volunteers and their time and also be able to cancel courts if they are not needed.
11) All athletes need to have a current physical on file at SONE and with us. If you do not have one, then please attend to that ASAP. Physical forms are good for 3 years. I have contacted anyone that either has an expired physical or one that will expire soon. If you are in doubt contact me and I will share the date of expiration. Medical forms can be found on SONE.org. When your physician has completed the form send one to SONE and bring one for us to have on file. All athletes also need to have a Code of Conduct, different than COVID-19 Code of Conduct on file. You can also find this form on SONE.org.
Whew!!! Hopefully I have covered most everything! I'm sure I will have forgotten something, but will send any additional thoughts at a later date.
Thanks for taking the time to go over this carefully yourself and also with your athlete. Feel free to print it off for reference.
Stay safe and warm! We look forward to getting back to tennis!
Don't forget to go to Sign Up Genius! You MUST be signed up to play in order to attend. Remember the group that you were assigned to, either LOVE or DUECE. Only sign up for the weeks that you are assigned to play. In January and February each athlete will get 4 time slots. We apologize for the restrictions, but we will start this way and then reevaluate.
Have a Happy New Year!
I received confirmations from most of you, and I thank you for that. If you did not respond, then please do so soon. If I do not have you registered you will not be able to use Sign Up Genius for your athlete to play. With the COVID complications we are going to be very strict with sign ups. If your athlete is not signed up prior to the play date they will not be allowed to attend. We are going to manage our numbers by knowing who is attending and how many volunteers we will need. This policy will be strictly enforced! In that past we have been able to be lenient, but not this session.
We will be dividing the athletes into 2 groups according to the level of instruction that they need. You will be notified soon the group that your athlete will be in. One group will be DUECE and the other will be LOVE. Which one will you be???
Groups will attend practice on alternating weeks. We will only have one group play on any given week. We will play in January and February so each group will get 4 practices. After that we will reassess our needs and the COVID situation. We will all have to be flexible and understanding as we navigate these uncharted waters. Practices will start on 1/9/21 and conclude on 2/27/21. They will be on Saturdays at the MAC (formally the Tennis Club) from either 4:30-6 or 5:00-6.
Right now I am thinking we will take March off and resume on 4/3/21-5/29/21 with a possible tournament 5/22/21 through SONE. You will receive information as the schedule develops. Please note these dates on your calendar in PENCIL:-)
There will be many safety protocols in place when you arrive at the MAC. All athletes will need to have masks on when they arrive, will have their temperatures taken and will be asked the COVID questions that were asked this Fall when we played at Koch. If your athlete has not done this before, we ask that a parent or caretaker be present to help the athlete answer so there is no confusion on their part as to understanding what we are asking. There will be "dots" on the floor to help distance the athletes when they arrive. At this time I am unsure of the status of spectators allowed at the MAC. I will get clarification before we start back.
Every court will have hand sanitizer for each athlete to use as they enter and exit the court. Volunteers and athletes can wear masks on court if they desire. All volunteers will wear gloves while on the court. Each athlete will have a "dot" to put their equipment and water on at an appropriate distance from other athletes. Each athlete will have a color coded ball hopper to use to pick up balls. These will be wiped down after the end of each practice.
We will start with these procedures and adapt as needed. If you have any suggestions for measures we can take, please feel free to share them with me.
I appreciate you patience and understanding as we develop and adapt our program to the challenges we have been presented. We will work tirelessly to ensure that your athlete and the volunteers are playing in a safe manner. Again, if you have a suggestion or concern, please share with me.
Happy Holidays to all of my Buddies and families and a Happy New Year! Be sure to be on the lookout for emails with details for our start of practices.
Missing you all and thanks for ensuring you are familiar with our schedule and procedures!
OMAHA TENNIS BUDDIES PRACTICES WILL RESUME IN JANUARY, 2021.
COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES
Plan to wear a mask until you are ready to actively play on the court. If you prefer for your athlete to keep their mask on please inform the volunteer that is supervising your athlete's court.
Please plan to enter through the building and exit through the outside gate. Try to maintain the 6 foot distances, except on the court. Bring your own water and towel for your athlete as there is none available on the courts or in the building. The restrooms are open inside, but you will need to have a mask on if you use them.
#1 Arrive fifteen minutes early.
#2 Have temperature taken.
#4 Turn in the medical forms for physicals or registration forms if they were sent to you.
I have sent emails to almost everyone that has a physical form that is going to expire in 2019. You need to have a current physical on file every 3 years. The forms are available on SONE.org or I can send them to you if needed. Your athlete cannot participate in Tennis Buddies and Special Olympic activities without a current physical on file. Feel free to contact me with any questions. This is especially crucial for the All Star Tournament and the State Tournament. **If your physical expires AFTER August 3rd you can get a physical done at the Healthy Athlete event at the State Games. I will have more information on this as we get closer to the event.
As we head for our summer program I need more parent help. There are several jobs that need to be covered that are too much for me to handle alone. Please consider how you can help with our athletes this summer.
a. Birthday cards (all year round) 1 person
b. Thank you, sympathy...any cards as needed (all year round) 1 person
c. Equipment unload/load-get to Koch a little stay a little late to help Tammy and I(summer only) 4-6 people
d. Valentine's Day party (one time a year) 4-6 people
e. Walking Club (September and October) 2-4 people
f. Family Picnic (August) 4-6 people
g. Medical Forms-keep them current (all year round) 1 person
h. Big Red Raffle (August to November) head and 6 helpers
i. Lunches at the State Games (1 time a year) 1 person
j. Banquet and dance tickets for State Games (1 time a year) 1 person
k. Family Fishing Expo-Saturday, Sept 7th from 9AM-1PM-Is there a fisherman out there that would like to take on this job and organize a group to go to Bellevue Rod and Gun Club? They have a fishing day for special needs kids and their families. Everything is provided along with instruction and equipment. Thought it would be a fun, free activity. (1 time a year) 1-2 people
l. Pumpkin Patch event (October) 2-3 people
**If you are currently doing this job and want to continue then let me know. If you want to change to a different job or do more than one job that is okay too. As you can see there are a lot of things that you can help with. We love our Tennis Buddies and want to this to be a rounded experience with lots of tennis activities along with social events so we can all bond and form lasting friendships.
SIGN UP GENIUS
Now that you are used to using this application we will be relying on it more and more for activities as they come up. PLEASE plan to use it when instructed so that all of these sign ups are simplified for the organizer. For example we will be using it for State Tennis- participation, lunches, dance and banquet, Family picnic, Fishing, pumpkin patch... Just a reminder that if you DO NOT sign up when requested to you will be considered a no or absent.
Check out our Photos Page, as many new Tennis Buddies photo albums have been posted
CLICK HERE to view a summary of the topics covered at our recent parent/caregiver meetings.
*in case of inclement weather please check your emails or tennisbuddiesrock.com for cancellations or change in location
*Mary McHale will be contacting any athletes that need to renew their physicals for 2019. If you receive a notice to renew be sure to get the Special Olympics form to take to the doctor and file a copy with me and with Special Olympics Nebraska. All athletes need to have a current physical on file in order to participate with Tennis Buddies.
* If your athlete has a change in caretaker please let me know so that I can make changes to my roster. I include the caretakers in the emails that I send so they have needed information for scheduling. Also update me if you have any changes to your personal information such as address, phone number, email...
* If you are interested in supplemental practice times during the week (hopefully at Happy Hollow), please let Nancy know.
* Be certain that Nancy has your athlete's current clothing sizes for: shirt, sweatshirt and shorts.
* We would like to like to share our roster list with our Tennis Buddies families. Please let Nancy know if we have your permission to share this information.
Omaha Volunteers now have a page on this website with information dedicated to them. Look under the "Volunteer" tab above, and select OMAHA VOLUNTEER INFO
Cancellations are made by 1:00 on the day of practice and we will try to get it posted on tennisbuddiesrock.com. I will also send out an email.
USE OUR WEBSITE
Please use the website for information. Past information that I have shared with you is posted on the site and is a wealth of information that is posted for your benefit. Try to make it your "go-to" for dates and times of upcoming events and explanations of happenings. A HUGE thanks to Jane Hines for maintaining and posting the vital information and the wonderful photos of our athletes!
Below you will find the schedules for the Creighton Men's and Women's Tennis teams. Our athletes can learn a lot by watching them play. Creighton players are very faithful with volunteering throughout the winter months.